Tompson House History
Reverend John Tompson was born in 1740, Scarborough, Maine. From 1768 until 1781 Reverend Tompson was the minister in both Standish and Berwick. The American Revolution took its toll and the parishioners were unable to pay for his services in both towns. William Tompson, one of the 8 children, was given the property at the intersection in Standish where five roads continued on to other adjoining towns in Maine. A two and a half story house was built and used as an inn and tavern for the stagecoach lines. A third story was constructed in 1830 to the thriving business. William Tompson died in 1859 at the age of 89. His son Charles, also one of eight children took over the inn and operated the business along with a stagecoach line from Freedom, NH to Portland, Maine. The trains came to Standish and had its terminal located at Sebago Lake. The inn was forced to close and for the next 100 years was residence to the Tompson family. Standish Telephone Company purchased the property in the 1980’s and made extensive renovations to the building. The offices closed and the building was sold in 2008. A restaurant and bar occupied the property and underwent three different operations. Today the home is an English Style pub named Two Black Dogs Country Pub. The Standish Historical Society opened the Tompson House Museum on the third floor. Leigh and Bill Haines have the honor and accept the responsibility to be the care takers of this historical site.